St. Anthony's Shrine Wahakotte

St. Anthony’s Shrine Wahakotte, Sri Lanka

Reading Time: 16 minutes
5/5 - (7 votes)

St. Anthony’s Shrine Wahakotte (Sinhala: වහකෝට්ටේ ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි සිද්ධස්ථානය; Tamil: புனித அந்தோனியார் கோயில், வககோட்டை) is the cathedral church of the Diocese of Kandy in Wahacotte. The church is located in Wahacotte, in the north of Matale District, Sri Lanka, about 32 km from Matale. Considered to be one of the most important pilgrim sites for Catholics in the country, people from all over Sri Lanka come to visit this holy Wahakotte Church (වහකෝට්ටේ පල්ලිය). This historic church is dedicated to Saint Anthony, and it has also been given the title of a national shrine.

St. Anthony’s Church Wahakotte (ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි දේවස්ථානය වහකෝට්ටේ) is a well-known pilgrim centre, enshrining a miraculous statue of St. Anthony of Padua for veneration that was brought down from Portugal by the original settlers. This statue is made of wood and is just six inches tall. It is the only statue with a unique characteristic found in Sri Lanka. St. Anthony is a Catholic saint born in 1195 in Lisbon, Portugal. There are thousands of recorded miracles attributed to St. Anthony during his lifetime and also after his death. He died in Padua on June 13, 1231, and Catholics celebrate his “feast” on this day.

Wahakotte stands tall as the oldest and largest shrine dedicated to St. Anthony in Sri Lanka, with a background of historical importance and a serene atmosphere with natural, scenic, and rustic beauty. In 1970, through a gazette notification on a special Act of Parliament, “the Act of Wahacotte,” this historic place was proclaimed to be a gazetted national pilgrim centre that enjoys state patronage.

Related Post: Holy Cross National Shrine, Marawila, Sri Lanka

The Statue of St. Anthony's Shrine Wahakotte
The miraculous statue of St. Anthony’s National Shrine Wahakotte

History of St. Anthony’s Shrine Wahakotte

Wahakotte was known as “Wasala-Kotte” (Castle in the Fort), and it is believed that there was a palace and a fort where the present church is situated; the village was so called because it protected the palace, traces of which are still visible. There is another legend to say that “Waha (poison) and “Kotte” (pillow) mean poisonous pillow, because a queen committed suicide after hearing of her husband’s death at war. History records that when king Dutugemunu defeated king Elara in 164 B.C., he had built a small fortress at Wahakotte. There are still some ruins of ancient buildings on a rocky hill called “Maligatenna,” or palace field.

These ruins show that Wahakotte was once a prosperous town with a fort, ramparts, a moat, and thoroughfares, where sub-kings lived. One can see Dambulla Rock Temple to the north from Maligatenna. The Ceylon Alamanac records that there were ruins of “Rangalle Nuwara” and a Hindu kovil, “Pattini Devalaya,” in the woods close by. History records that the first Christian Monarch, Yamasinghe, was the adopted son of Karalliyadda Bandara, who later became Don Phillip after embracing Christianity in Goa, India, and was crowned at Wahakotte by the Portuguese. It is also recorded that Don Francisco Wijekoon, who organised the Kandyan rebels against King Rajasinghe, was present on this occasion.

After king Senarath, Prince Maha Asthana ascended the throne of Kandy as King Rajasinghe II (1635–1687). He was a great king and acted with strong determination to repel the Portuguese from this country. It all began during the time of the persecutions by the Dutch. The Catholics fled the Dutch-controlled areas, searching for refuge under the patronage of King Rajasinghe II of the Kandyan Kingdom, and the king settled the Portuguese Christians at Wahacotte.

King Rajasinghe of Kandy, who fought against the Portuguese, captured some of them and made them settle down in Wahakotte. The village of Wahakotte was one such locality where they sought refuge. Wahacotte is a rural Catholic village, and its origins lie with the Portuguese. These captured people earned their living by engaging themselves in cultivation, business, and trade, with women sewing dresses for women, men sewing dresses for men; some engaged themselves in running taverns and making liquor. (Robert Knox, page 248).

After King Rajasinghe II, his son Vimaladharmasuriya II (1687–1707) ascended the throne. It’s claimed that he is a peace-loving king. The King allowed the Portuguese Catholics, who were undergoing severe persecutions under the Dutch, to come into his kingdom. The persecuted Catholics, who moved inland to escape the clutches of the Dutch, chose Wahacotte since there was a Catholic presence. The original settlers had begun their devotion and veneration in a cadjan hut, which was a cattle shed during the day and became a place of prayer and veneration at night. For a very long period of time, they preserved the Catholic faith intact without the services of an ordained minister.

Vira Parakrama Narendra Sinha (1707–1739) was the last Sinhalese King of Sri Lanka in the Kingdom of Kandy. The son of Vimaladharmasurya II, Narendrasinha, ascended to the throne when he was 17 years old and reigned for 32 years. He was also known as the “Prince of Kundasale.”. Vira Parakrama Narendra Singha was believed to be a considerably pious monarch, and like his predecessor, he lived at peace with the Dutch invaders and devoted himself to the furtherance of literature and religion.

King Sri Vijaya Rajasinghe (1739–1747) was a member of the Madurai Nayak Dynasty and succeeded his brother-in-law, Vira Narendra Sinha, as the King of Kandy. In his reign, the ministers fulfilled the requests of the Dutch and acted according to their own desires. As a result, the dissava (Kandyan chiefs) instructed their provinces, where Christians resided, to capture the missionaries and bring them to the capital. They were also ordered to confiscate any property belonging to the missionaries and destroy the churches. Additionally, all church property was confiscated on March 17, 1744. The Nayakkar king, Sri Vijay Rajasinghe, expelled all the Catholic priests from Kandy.

Immediately after this act was done, there was a severe drought in the upper country, and there was an epidemic and famine. A rumor spread throughout the country that it was the punishment of nature for expelling the Catholics from Kandy. It is said that the king, frightened by this, brought back the Catholics and granted them the village of Wahakotte. It is also said that King Sri Vijaya Rajasingha also built a church to offer sacrifices to the Portuguese and Christians. Sri Vijaya Rajasinghe’s reign was complex, marked by his attempts to reintroduce upasampada ordination while persecuting Catholics.

Since King Sri Vijaya Rajasinghe had no sons, his Queen’s younger brother became the king of Kandy under the name, Kirthi Sri Rajasinghe (1747–1781). He allowed the Catholics to perform their religious activities and gave them freedom of worship as a token of goodwill. He gave back the statue of St. Anthony, which was plundered from a church in Kandy during the reign of his brother-in-law Sri Vijaya Rajasinghe (1739–1747), to the Catholics of Wahakotte.

The people of Wahakotte are slightly fairer in complexion compared to other rural people in the area, though there are also very dark people among them. Because of this complexion, neighbouring villagers still refer to them as “Pruthugeesi,” or the decendants of “Parangi.” Some had Kandyan names mixed with Portuguese names, like Don Juan Wijeratne or Dona Issabella Ekanayake. When the Dutch captured the areas that were under Portuguese rule, they confiscated all catholic institutions, churches, schools and religious places, chased away the Catholic priests and banned all religious activities.

St. Anthony's Shrine Wahakotte
The light coloured shrine is crowned with brick red tiled roof and the interiors are beautifully decorated with intricate elements.

Visit of Fr. Joseph Vaz: The Apostle of Sri Lanka

The Kandy kingdom became a Catholic stronghold when Dutch colonizers, who were Protestants, persecuted Portuguese Catholics, forcing them to flee from other parts of Ceylon (the old name of Sri Lanka). Blessed Joseph Vaz, the Apostle of Sri Lanka, who arrived in Sri Lanka from South India, disguised as a labourer, had visited Wahakotte. Fr. Joseph Vaz Vaz began serving the Catholics and carried out his evangelization efforts from his first mission center in a hideout, due to hostilities towards Christians in the area.

The peasants there had built a little hut on a small hill for Fr. Joseph Vaz, which is still venerated by Catholics. Joseph Vaz administered the sacraments and gave an organised structure to this community by appointing Muhupoos (the leader of the Catholic community) and Annavis (the prayer leaders). This solidified the fervour of the people and laid a firm foundation for the sustainability of the Catholic religious identity of Wahacotte. A severe drought hit Kandy, and then, the Catholics led by Father Vaz prayed to St. Anthony for three days, and torrential rain drenched Wahakotte and Kandy.

These straits of his missionary strategies are very prevalent even today. As the Catholics of Wahakotte faced much harassment from the Dutch and the Kandyan rulers, they erected a place of worship in a secret place, during the time of Fr. Joseph Vaz, and during the daytime it looked like a cattle shed, but at night it became a prayer room. Today there stands a newly built octagonal-shaped monument as a rightful recognition and remembrance of the ministry of the apostle of Sri Lanka, at Wahacotte. Pope Francis canonized Father Joseph Vaz during his visit to Sri Lanka in 2015.

A shrine marks the spot where St Joseph Vaz was hidden from the Dutch rulers, in a cattle shed, in the late 17th century

The Miraculous Statue of St. Anthony

There is an interesting legend about this sacred statue of St. Anthony. Once, some enemies destroyed this great church and plundered all the valuable things in the church except this statue. The villagers had somehow hidden this statue made of wood, only six inches in height, in a rice-pot and was able to save it from enemies. As the Catholics of Wahakotte faced much harassment from the Dutch and the Kandyan rulers, they erected a place of worship in a secret place under Rev. Fr. Joseph Vaz. During the day, it looked like a cattle-shed, but at night, it was a prayer room.

When Wahakotte celebrations are held now, the statue of St. Anthony is taken in a procession to this sacred place, and in holy prayer, the Catholics pay homage to Rev. Fr. Joseph Vaz. The historic Wahakotte religious festival, portrays the story of Catholics, who, without any help from organised clergy, maintained the Catholic faith for over 200 years in purely, non-Catholic surroundings. Today, Wahakotte, or Wasala-Kotte, which once flourished as a royal city, holds a unique place in the history of Catholics in Sri Lanka.

In times of tribulation, the people of Wahacotte sought the help of St. Anthony. During persecution, they assembled in secret around the statue to pray, and they carried the statue in procession in times of drought and plague. At the turn of the 18th century, there was a severe drought in “Kandapahala Korale” (Wahacotte), with all water tanks dry. For three days, the Catholic community prayed to St. Anthony, and at the conclusion of their prayer, the drought ended with torrential rain. The Catholics and non-catholics had organised a “Perahera” procession, to mark this miracle.

Even today, some neighbouring Buddhists speak of this miraculous power of St. Anthony. These grateful neighbours, it is said, had brought gifts to St. Anthony in a solemn manner, accompanied by the Kandyan “Hewisi” band, and accorded by popular acclamation the right to use “Hewisi” at the Catholic feast at Wahakotte. “Hewisi” is not used in many other churches, as it was mainly the privilege of kings. Still, Buddhists come to Wahakotte, a church festival from “Kandapahala Korale,” with their “Hewisi,” and make this feast a symbol of unity among Buddhists and Catholics.

Statue of St. Anthony's Church Wahakotte

Getting to St. Anthony’s Church Wahakotte

St. Anthony’s Church Wahakotte is one of the most historic shrines for Catholics in Sri Lanka. This church is situated in Udugoda Palelsiya Pattuwa, to the north-west of Matale district, four miles from Galewela town on the Matale-Galewela main road. It is about 140 Km from Colombo, through Warakapola-Kurunegala, Galewela and Wahakotte. From Kandy, it is about 55 km via Matale-Palapathwela and Wahakotte, and from Negambo, it is about 130 km. through Kurunegala-Galewela and Wahakotte. From Chilaw it is about 120 km along Kurunegala-Galewela and Wahakotte.

The Parish of Wahacotte

After bringing the entire island under their control, the British granted religious freedom, and the Catholics began to enjoy the newly found freedom to practice their religion. It was after 1821 that Catholic priests visited Wahacotte officially on a regular basis. In 1886, Rev. Fr. Benedict Perera, OSB, became the first resident priest at Wahacotte. The mission of Wahacotte was given to the Benedictines in exchange for the Cathedral Church of Kandy. With Rev. Fr. Lanfranc Assauw, OSB, becoming the first ever parish priest, Wahacotte was carved out as a full-fledged parish in 1888.

From then on, the Benedictines have been the custodians of this parish and shrine, except for the short stint of Rev. Fr. F.M. Goonetillege (Miss. Apost) from 1918 to 1925. The dedicated services helped the mission territory of Wahacotte develop in leaps and bounds, beyond the geographical boundaries of Wahacotte proper. There are 1,132 Catholic families, spread over the main church, St. Anthony’s National Shrine Wahakotte and eight other substation churches coming under the jurisdiction of this shrine parish.

Calvary of St. Anthony’s Church Wahakotte

The mural-style calvary on a hillock overlooking Dambulla is the jewel in the crown of Wahakotte. The choice of this singular place was made by Rev. Fr. Sebastian OSB way back in 1956. From then on, there had been a gradual development by the parish priests who served in the parish. Today, the Calvary at Wahacotte stands tall unmatched by any other because of its natural and scenic beauty and draws a large number of pilgrims during the season of lent. Customarily, it is the death, not the birth, of a saint that is celebrated as feast day. St. Anthony’s National Shrine Wahakotte celebrates two feasts: as usual, the remembrance of the heavenly birth of St. Anthony in June and the remembrance of his birth on earth in August. The birthday of the saint falls on August 15.

As Tuesday is dedicated to St. Anthony, devotees throng the different places of worship dedicated to St. Anthony, and Wahacotte is no exception. Two masses are celebrated for the convenience of the people. Special devotions are held at St. Anthony’s Church Wahakotte on the first Tuesdays of every month. Every year, the miraculous status of St. Anthony is taken in procession around the village on the day of the village feast. The status casket is kept on a table specially prepared at the four corners and the main entry point of the village. Then traditional prayers composed by Fr. Jacome Gonsalves are recited, along with prayers for protection from insects, epidemics, conspiracies, and natural calamities. True to their faith, Wahacotte has enjoyed divine protection throughout.

St. Anthony’s National Shrine Wahakotte enjoys yet another specialty in the singing of Pasan, the singing of the Passion Narrative, with a special tradition of chanting melody much different from the singing of Pasan in other places, unique to Wahacotte. There are two types of narratives: the traditional passion narrative and the other Passion narrative, Sermons Deshanaya. During the season of Lent, the whole-night vigil singing of this passion narrative is organised by different groups at different locations and houses.

Important Information

  • Feast Day – 17 June
  • Church Visiting Time: Everyday, 7.00 am to 7.00 pm
  • Address: St. Anthony’s National Shrine, Wahakotte, Matale, Sri Lanka
  • Contact Number: Tel: 0662 289 210

වහකෝට්ටේ සා.අන්තෝනි ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථානය

දුර්භික්ෂ දුරු කරමින් ප්‍රාතිහාර්ය පාන ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි දේවස්ථානය, වහකෝට්ටේ…..

වහකෝට්ටේ සා.අන්තෝනි ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථානය, ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි මුනිදුන්ට කැප වූ ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ පැරණිතම දේවස්ථානය යි. වහකෝට්ටේ, වාසල කෝට්ටේ හා වසකෝට්ටේ නමින් උඩරැටියන් හැඳින්වූ වහකෝට්ටේ ග්‍රාමය වර්තමානයේ ප්‍රසිද්ධියක් උසුලන්නේ සුප්‍රසිද්ධ ජන වන්දනා ස්ථානයක් වූ ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි මුනිඳුන්ගේ දේවස්ථානය නිසාය. වරක දී පූජා අවස්ථාවකට හාර දහසක පමණ බැතිමතුන් පිරිසක් සහභාගී වීමට තරම් ඉඩ පහසුකම් එහි පවතී. පංච තූර්ය නාදයෙන් දෙවිඳු පුදන, හේවිසි හොරණෑ නාද නැඟෙන ක‍තෝලික පුදබිමක් ලංකාවේ ඇත්නම් ඒ වහකෝට්ටේ පමණ ය. වහකෝට්ටේ දේවස්ථානය ප්‍රසිද්ධ වී තිබෙන්නේ සිංහල බෞද්ධ සහ කතෝලික සිරිත් විරිත් දෙවර්ගයම අනුගමනය කරන අපූරු ඓතිහාසික පුදසුනක් ලෙසිනි.

ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථාන පහ අතරට එක්වන ශුද්ධ වූ අන්තෝනි මුනිඳුන් වෙනුවෙන් ඉදි වූ පැරැණිම දේවස්ථානය වන වහකෝට්ටේ පල්ලියේ දී පමණක් ගොන්සාලිවේස් පියතුමා විසින් රචිත පසන් ගී අසන්නට ලැබීම ද විශේෂ ය. වහකෝට්ටේ වාසය කළ මිනිසුන් පෘතුගීසින්ගෙන් පැවතෙන්නන් වුව ද කාලයාගේ ඇවෑමෙන් සිංහල මිනිසුන් සමග නිදහසේ ඇසුරු කිරීමෙන් සංස්කෘතික වශයෙන් බොහෝ සමානතා හටගෙන ඇත. කතාබහ, ඇදුම් පැළදුම්, සංගීතය, නැටුම් සිරිත් විරිත් සිංහල බවට පත්ව ඇත. ඔවුන්ගේ ආගම කතොලික වුව ද සමාජ පැවැත්ම උඩරට සිංහල විය. එමෙන්ම නුවර පදවියේ වැඩිම කතෝලික පිරිසක් වෙසෙන ග්‍රාමය ද වන්නේ වහකෝට්ටේයි. 

වහකෝට්ටේ සා.අන්තෝනි ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථානය කැපකර තිබෙන්නේ ප්‍රාතිහාර්යේ සාන්තුවරයා ලෙස සැලකෙන ‘පාදුවාහී ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි මුනිඳු’ නමට යි. පෘතුගාලයේ ලිස්බන් නුවර ධනවත් පවුලක උපත ලබන ෆ්‍රනැන්ඩු මාටින්ස් ප්‍රැන්සිස්කන් නිකායික පියතුමෙකු ලෙස සරල දිවියක් තෝරාගන්නේ දිළිඳු අසරණ මිනිසුන් වෙනුවෙන් කැපවීමට තිබෙන කැමැත්ත නිසාමයි. තමන් පීඩා විඳිමින් වුන් රෝගාබාධයන් ද අමතක කර ධර්මයට කැපවන මේ ගුණගරුක පියතුමා තමන් විසින් ම උනන්දුවෙන් ඇතිකරගත් ධර්ම ඥානයෙනුත් චතුර කථිකත්වයෙනුත් යුතු වූ බැවින් බොහෝ ගෞරවයට පාදක වුණා. ” ප්‍රාතිහාර්යේ සාන්තුවරයා ” ලෙස ප්‍රසිද්ධ වන මෙතුමා 1231 ජුනි 13 වෙනිදා පාදුවාහී දී ස්වර්ගස්ථ වූ බැවින් ‘පාදුවාහී ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි මුනිඳු‘ යන නමින් අද ද බොහෝ බුහුමන් ලබන්නේ තවමත් එතුමන්ගේ පිහිට ධාර්මික ජනතාවට නොඅඩුව ලැබෙන නිසයි.

මේ නිසා වහකෝට්ටේ පල්ලියට ද රට වටෙන්ම එන ජනතාව තම පීඩාවන්වලින් ගැලවීමට සා.අන්තෝනි මුනිඳුට යාඥා කරනවා. බෞද්ධයන් හා මිශ්‍ර වෙමින්, ඔවුන් සමග ආගමික සංහිදියාවෙන් වෙසෙමින්, බෞද්ධයන්ගේද නොමද ගෞරවාදයට පාත්‍ර වෙමින් ද ලොවට ආදර්ශයක් සපයමින් තුරුවැල් වලින් ගහණ රමණීය පරිසරයක් මැද ශුද්ධවූ අන්තෝනි මුනිඳුන් වහකෝට්ටේ දෙව්විමනේ සිට අදත් ලොවට සෙත සදමින් වැඩසිටී.

වහකෝට්ටේ සා.අන්තෝනි ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථානය පිළිබඳ ඉතිහාසය

මහනුවර පදවියට අයත් මාතලේ දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ උඳුගොඩ පල්ලේසිය පත්තුවට අයත් වහකෝට්ටේ නම් වූ සුන්දර ග්‍රාමයේ සාන්ත අන්තෝනි මුනි ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථානය පිහිටා ඇත. වහකෝට්ටේ හැඳින්වූයේ “වාසල-කෝට්ටේ” මාලිගාව යනුවෙනි. වර්තමාන පල්ලිය පිහිටා ඇති තැන මාළිගාවක් සහ බලකොටුවක් තිබූ බව විශ්වාස කෙරේ. ගම එසේ හැඳින්වූයේ මාලිගාව ආරක්ෂා කළ බැවින් වූ අතර එහි සලකුණු තවමත් දක්නට ලැබේ. මුලින්ම පොල්අතු මඩුවක් වශයෙන් තමයි පල්ලිය ඉදිකර තිබෙන්නේ.

මෙම ග්‍රාමයට වහකෝට්ටේ නාමය ලැබීම හා සම්බන්ධ ජනප්‍රවාදයන් හා ජනශ්‍රැති කීපයකි. “වාසලකෝට්ටේ” , “වසන්කෝට්ටේ” , “වාසමන්කෝට්ටේ “ආදි දමිළ වදන් වලින් “වහකෝට්ටේ ” යන නාමය බිදී ආ බව එක් මතයකි. “වහ” – විෂ බව පැවසීමට තවත් පුරාවෘත්තයක් තිබේ (“කෝට්ටේ” – කොට්ටය). තම සැමියාගේ මරණයෙන් කම්පනයට පත්වූ බිසවක් කොට්ටය යට තබාගත් වස බීමෙන් දිවි නසාගත් යන අරුතෙන් වසකෝට්ටේ හෙවත් වහකෝට්ටේ වූ බව එක් ජනප්‍රවාදයකි. එසේම රජවාසලට ඇතුළු වීමේ දොරටුව හෙවත් ප්‍රධාන වාහල්කඩ පිහිටි ස්ථානය යන අරුතෙන් වාසලකෝට්ටේ නමින් හඳුන්වන බව අනෙක් ජනප්‍රවාදයයි. දුටුගැමුණු රජතුමා එළාර රජු පැරදවීමෙන් අනතුරුව ක්‍රි.පූ.164 දී වහකෝට්ටේ කුඩා බලකොටුවක් ඉදිකළ බවට ඉතිහාසගත මූලාශ්‍ර වල සඳහන් වේ. මේ ආසන්නයේ ඇති පැරණි බලකොටුවක නටඹුන් ඵ් බවට සාක්ෂි දරයි.

සිංහල වර්ගයාගේ ආරම්භය ලෙස සැලකෙන විජය රජතුමාගේ පැමිණිම සිදුවීමට පෙරාතුව පටන් එනම් ප‍්‍රාග් ඓතිහාසික යුගයේ නැතහොත් රාවණා රාජයුගයේ පටන්ම වහකෝට්ටේ ගම පිළිබඳව සඳහන් වී තිබීම එය දීර්ඝ ඉතිහාසයක් ඇති ගමක් බවට සනාථ කෙරෙන කාරණයකි. මෙම ප‍්‍රවෘත්තිය රාවණා කතා නම් පුස්කොළ ග‍්‍රන්ථයේද ඇති බැව් ප‍්‍රකට ඉතිහාසඥයකු වන ආචාර්ය විරැන්ඩෝ ඔබේසේකර මහතාද ප‍්‍රකාශ කරයි.

ආර්කි බෝස්ඞ් කැම්බල් ලෝරී නම් ඉංගි‍්‍රසි ජාතික ශ්‍රේෂ්ඨාධිකරණ විනිසුිරුවරයා ඔහුගේ රාජකාරි සමය තුළ ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ බොහෝ ගම්මාන වල චාරිකා කරමින් ඒ ඒ ගම්මාන පිළිබඳ ඔහුට දකින්නට අසන්නට ලැබුණු තොරතුරු ර්‍ණලෝරි ගැසට්” නමින් ඔහු සැකසු ග‍්‍රන්ථයේ සටහන් වී තිබීම වහකෝට්ටේ ගමේ ඓතිහාසිකත්වය පැහැදිලි කරණ තවත් සාධකයකි. එහිදී ඔහු විසින් පැහැදිලි කර දී ඇත්තේ දේවානම් පියතිස්ස රාජ්‍ය යුගයේ ශ්‍රී ලංකාවට වැඩම කරවූ ජය ශ්‍රී බෝ සමිදුගේ පරිවාර පිරිස වූ දහඅට කුලයක ජනතාව අතර සිටි ජයකොත් පණ්ඩිත නම් අයෙකුට රජතුමා විසින් නින්දගමක් ලෙස වහකොට්ටේ සහ සියඹලාගහවෙල යන ගම්මාන ලබා දී ඇති බවයි.

පුරාණයේ වහකෝට්ටේ සමෘද්ධිමත් නගරයක්ව පැවතුණි. එහි කොටු පවුරු ආදියෙන් සුරක්ෂිත බලකොටුවක් තිබුණු බවට සාධක තිබේ. අවුරුදු ගණනාවක් එහි යුවරජවරු විසූහ. වරක් රාජ මාලිගාවක් පිහිටියේ යයි කියන බිම් කොටස දැනුදු ගම්වැසියෝ පෙන්වති. දුටුගැමුණු රජු විසින් පරාජය කළ එළාර රජුගේ බලකොටුවක් මෙහි තිබූ බවට ද විශ්වාසයක් පවතී. වහකෝට්ටෙට නුදුරින් අම්බොක්ක කන්ද පාමුල පුරාණ පත්තිනි දේවාලයක් ඇති අතර, යාබද වනාන්තරයේ රංගල්ල නුවර නටබුන් පවතින බව වාර්තාවල සඳහන් ය.

1834 දී ලියූ The Ceylon Almanac නම් වාර්තාවේ ඇත්තේ මේ විදිහට යි.

1505 දී ලංකාවට පා තැබූ පෘතුගීසින් විසින් හඳුන්වා දුන් රෝමානු කතෝලික දහම ඔවුන්ගේ පාලනයට නතුවූ මුහුදුබඩ ප්‍රදේශයන්හි නිදහසේ ප්‍රචලිත විය. වහකෝට්ටේ කිතුණු පුරාණය ක්‍රි.ව 1634 විසූ දෙවන රාජසිංහ රජ දවස දක්වා දිව යයි. පෘතුගීසින් පාලනය කළ ලංකාවේ මුහුදුබඩ ප්‍රදේශ සියල්ල 1658 වන විට ලන්දෙසින් අල්ලා ගනු ලැබීය. 1658 දී පෘතුගීසි පාලන ප්‍රදේශ යටත්කොට ගත් ලන්දේසීහු තමාගේ ප්‍රධාන සතුරු ආගම වූ රෝමානු කතෝලික දහම ඇදහීම තහනම් කළහ. කතෝලික දෙව්මැදුරු හා පූජ්‍යස්ථාන අල්ලා ගත් ලන්දේසීහු කතෝලිකයන් වූ පෘතුගීසින්ට බොහෝ හිරිහැර කළහ. ලන්දේසින්ගේ තාඩන පීඩන ඉවසාගත නොහැකි වූ බොහෝ පෘතුගීසීහු එවකට රජකල දෙවැනි රාජසිංහ රජුගේ (1629-1687) කරුණාව පතා උඩරටට සංක්‍රමණය වූහ.

ඔවුන්ට ආරක්ෂාව ලබාදීමට ද රජු පොරොන්දු වූ බව එකල උඩරට සිටි රොබට් නොක්ස් සඳහන් කරයි. ඒ අනුව උඩරටට පැමිණි මොවුන්ව රජු විසින් රුවන්වැල්ල, සීතාවක, වෑවුඩ සහ වහකෝට්ටේ යන ප්‍රදේශ වල පදිංචි කරවූ බව රොබට් නොක්ස්ගේ ලංකා විස්තරය නම් ග්‍රන්ථයේ සදහන් වේ. එසේ පැමිණි පෘතුගී‍්‍සින් මෙහි විසු කන්ද උඩරට සිංහල කාන්තාවන් සමග විවාහ වීමෙන් පසු ඇති වූ පරපුර වහකෝට්ටේ මුල්ම පදිංචි කරුවෝ වුහ. රාජසිංහ රජුගේ මව වූයේ කතෝලික බිසවක් වූ දෝන කතිරිනා හෙවත් කුසුමාසන දේවිය යි.

එසේ පැමිණි කතෝලික ජනයා උඩරට රජුගේ ආරක්ෂාව ලබා රජ වාසලක් හා බළකොටුවක් පැවති මාතලේ දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ උඩුගොඩ පල්ලේසිය පත්තුවේ වහකෝට්ටේ අවට පදිංචි විය. කතෝලික ධර්මයට අයත් කිසිවක් ළඟ පවතින බව හසුවුවහොත් ලන්දේසින් අතින් මැරුම්කන්නට සිදුවන බැවින් ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි මුනිඳුන්ගේ ප්‍රතිමාවක් බත් හැලියක සඟවාගෙන පැමිණි බව පැවසේ. මෙම ප්‍රතිමාව වනාහි ඕලන්ද පීඩන සමය ආරම්භ වීමත් සමගම මුහුදුකරයේ සිටි කතෝලික පිරිසක් සිය ආරක්ෂාව උදේසා දෙවන රාජසිංහ රජුගේ අනුග්‍රහය මත වාසලකෝට්ටේ පදිංචි වූ අතර තමන් ගෙනා ප්‍රතිමාව වෙනුවෙන් කුඩා දෙව්මැදුරක් තනා එයට රාත්‍රි කාලයේ යාඥා කල බව ජනප්‍රවාදවල සදහන්ය.

ඕලන්ද පීඩන සමයේ වීරෝධාර කතෝලික පිරිසක් ජීවත් වූ ග්‍රාමයක් ලෙස වාසලකෝට්ටේ නම් කල හැකිය. ලන්දේසි සමයේ කතෝලික පීඩනය මැද වහකෝට්ටේ කතෝලිකයෝ රෙප්‍රමාදු ආගමට හරවා ගැනීමට ලන්දේසීහූ හමුදාවක් එවූහ. හමුදාව ගම වට කරද්දී ආශ්චර්යමත් ශා.අන්තෝනි තුමන්ගේ අගල් හයක පමණ උසැති ප්‍රතිමාව බත් මුට්ටියක සගවා රැක ගත්තේ යැයි පැරැන්නෝ පවසති. තවත් අවස්තාවක දී ලන්දේසී හමුදාවක් ගම වට කල විට ගෙයක් තනමින් සිටි පිරිසක් කඩිනමින් ප්‍රතිමාව වරිච්චි බිත්තියේ තබා මැටි ගැසු බවද පැරැන්නෝ පවසති.

1687 වර්ෂයේ දී ශු.ජුසේවාස් මුනිතුමන්ගේ හා 1705 වර්ෂයේ දී අති පූජ්‍ය පඩිවර ජාකෝමේ ගොන්සාල්වෙස් පියතුමන්ගේ පිය පහසින් එම ග්‍රාමය බැබලුනී. 1687 වර්ෂයේ දී ලන්දේසීන්ට හොරෙන් වෙස්වලාගෙන ලංකාවට පැමිණි ජුසේවාස් පියනම වහකෝට්ටේට පැමිණ, මේ පැල්පත් දෙව් මැඳුර තුළ සිට ධර්ම ප්‍රචාරක කටයුතු සිදුකල බව සදහන්ය. මේ ගැන රදගුරු එඩ්මන්ඩ් පීරිස් මෙසේ ලියා තිබේ: “ජුසේවාස් පියතුමන්ගේ කාලයේ දී රහසිගත ස්ථානයක පුදසුනක් තනවන ලදී. දිවා කාලයේ එය ගව ගාලකි. රාත්‍රිය දේව මන්දිරයකි.” අද වුව වහකෝට්ටේ වාර්ෂික මංගල්‍ය උත්සවයේ දී ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි දෙව් රුව රැගෙන යන පෙරහරේ දී ජුසේවාස් පියතුමාගේ නම යාඥා ගායනයෙන් සිහිපත් කෙරේ. ජුසේවාස් පියනම නැවතී සිටි බව විශ්වාස කෙරෙන තැන මෑතක දී ජුසේවාස් මණ්ඩපය ඉදිකර තිබෙන අතර එහි ජුසේ වාස් ප්‍රතිමාවක් ද දැකගත හැකියි. ජුසේවාස් පියතුමන් විසින් සිටුවනු ලැබූ කුරුසය අදට ද මෙම බිමේ දක්නට ලැබේ. 

ශු. ජුසේ වාස් මුනිතුමා (1651 – 1711), 1995 ජනවාරි 21 දින 11 වන ජුවාම් පාවුළු පාප්තුමන් විසින් භාග්‍යවරයට ඔසවන ලද අතර 2015 ජනවාරි 14 වන දින ෆ්‍රැන්සිස් පාප්තුමන් විසින් ශුද්ධවරයට ඔසවන ලදි. මෙතුමාගේ මංගල්‍යය ජනවාරි 16 වන දින සැමරුණු ලබයි.

ශ්‍රී විජය රාජසිංහ රජතුමා ( (1739-1747) දරුණු කිතුණු විරෝධීයෙකු වූ අතර, හෙතෙම මහනුවරින් මෙන්ම වෑ උඩ, කලුගල්ලේ වැනි කතෝලිකයන් බහුලව සිටි ගම්මාන වලින් ඔවුන් පන්නා දැමීය. මෙම ක්‍රියාව සිදු කල වහාම එකල උඩරට නියඟයක් හටගෙන වසංගතයක් සහ සාගතයක් ඇති වූ අතර එය කතෝලිකයන් එළවා දැමීම නිසා සොබාදහම ලබා දුන් දඬුවමකැ යි රටපුරා රාවයක් ද පැතිරුණි. මෙයින් බියපත් වූ රජු කතෝලිකයන් නැවත ගෙන්වා වහකෝට්ටේ ග්‍රාමය ඔවුන්ට ප්‍රදානය කළ බව පැවසේ. ශ්‍රී විජය රාජසිංහ රජතුමා පෘතුගීසින් ඇතුළු කිතුනු භක්තිකයන්ට පුද පූජා පවත්වන්නට දෙව් මැදුරක් ද තනවා දුන් බවත් කියැවේ. එකල වහකෝට්ටේ කතෝලික බැතිමතුන් නියඟය දුරු කර දෙන ලෙස ශාන්ත අන්තෝනි පිහිට පතා යාඥා කල අතර එහිදී මහා වැසි වස්සමින් නියඟය දුරු වූ බව පැවසේ. ශ්‍රී විජය රාජසිංහ රජතුමා ක්‍රි.ව 1747 දී මිය ගියේය.

ජුසේවාස් පියනමගේ මහනුවර බෝගම්බර දෙව්මැදුරෙන් පැහැරගෙන තිබු මරියතුමියගේ ප්‍රතිමාව ඇතුළු ඇතුළු සියලු භාණ්ඩ වහකෝට්ටේ දෙව්මැදුර තෙක් වෙත රැගෙන ගියේ බෙර, හේවිසි හොරණෑ හඬ සහිත පෙරහරකිනි. අද වන විටත් වහකෝට්ටේ පූජනීය සිද්ධස්ථානයේ මංගල්‍ය අවස්ථාවල දී උඩරට නැට්ටුවන් හේවිසි නාද පවත්වන්නේ ඒ අතීතය සමරීමට බව පැවසේ. ජූනි මාසයේ පැවැත්වෙන මංගල්‍යයේ දී මරියතුමියගේ පැරණි ප්‍රතිමාව දේවස්ථානය වටා පෙරහරකින් වැඩම කරවනු ලැබේ. මෙම පෙරහර බෞද්ධ පෙරහරකට තරමක් සමාන වන අතර සංස්කෘතික අංග රැසක්, වෙස් නැටුම් කණ්ඩායමක්, හේවිසි කණ්ඩායමක් වැනි සුවිශේෂී අංග රැසකින් සමන්විත පෙරහර පැය දෙකකට වැඩි කාලයක් දෙව්මැදුර වටා ගමන් ගනු ලබයි.

මහනුවර දේවස්තානයේ ස්තාපිතව තිබු ඇත් දළින් නෙලූ කුරුසියද, ජාකෝමේ ගොන්සාල්වෙස් පියතුමාට ශ්‍රී විජය රාජසිංහ රජු විසින් ක්‍රි.ව 1742 දී ත්‍යාග කල ඇත් දලින් නෙලූ දේවමාතා ප්‍රතිමාවද මෙහි වර්තමානයේදීත් දක්නට ලැබේ. ක්‍රි.ව 1827 දී ද ඔරතෝරියානු පිවරුන් ශුද්ධාසනයට යවන ලද දෙව්මැදුරු පිලිබද නාමාවලියේ වහාකෝට්ටේ ග්‍රාමයේ දෙව්මැදුරක් ඇති බව සදහන් කරයි. එසේම ඈත අතීතයේ සා.අන්තෝනි මුනිදුන්ගේ හාස්කම්ත් අත්දුටු බොදුනුවෝ සා.අන්තෝනි මුනිදුන්ගේ ප්‍රතිමාව වැඩමවා ගෙන අලි ඇතුන් කෙලි සෙල්ලම් හා සංස්කෘතිකාංග රැසක් සහිත මහා පෙරහැරක් පැවැත්වූහ. ජුනි මස 13යින් පසු එළබෙන ඉරිදා දිනයේ දී හේවිසි, හොරණෑ, උඩරට නැටුම් ආදී අංගයන් ගෙන් යුක්තව මංගල්‍යය සමරන එකම දේවස්ථානය වහකෝට්ටේ පල්ලිය යි. ක්‍රි .ව.1815 ඉංග්‍රීසින් උඩරටට පැමිණ කතෝලික දහමට අනුග්‍රහය ලැබෙන තුරු වහකෝට්ටේ කතෝලිකයින් තම ආගම ඇදහීමේ නිදහස බහුතර බෞද්ධයන් මධ්‍යයේ නොකඩවා පවත්වාගෙන ගියහ.

වහකෝට්ටේ ගම්වාසීන් භාවිතා කරන වාසගම් විමසා බලන විට පැහැදිලි වන කාරණයක් වන්නේ එහි මුල් පදිංචිකරුවන් හා සබඳතා පැවති අයුරුයි. එවැනි වාසගම් කීපයක් මෙසේය. කොළඹ ගෙදර, කොහොඹ ගහ ගෙදර, බෝ වත්තේ ගෙදර, සමරකෝන් ගෙදර, පිටියේ ගෙදර, වෑඋඩ ගෙදර, මිරිහල්ලේ ගෙදර, මාත්ගමුවේ ගෙදර, මැටියම්පත ගෙදර, වහකෝට්ටේ රාළලෑ ගෙදර, තුම්පනේ ගෙදර…ලෙසය. ආදීම අවස්ථාවේ සිට වහකෝට්ටේ පදිංචි පෘතුගී‍්‍රසි පිරිස් සිංහලයන් හා එක්ව කටයුතු කිරීමේ ප‍්‍රතිඵලය වූයේ ඔවුන්ගේ ආගමික දර්ශනය කතෝලික වුවත් සමාජ දර්ශනය උඩරට සිංහල වීමයි. ඔවුන් සාමාන්‍ය සිංහල ජනතාවට වඩා පැහැපත් සිරුරකින් යුක්ත වීමද පෘතුගීසීන් ගෙන් වහකෝට්ටේ ජනතාව පැවත එන බවට සාධකයකි.

1819 දී ආණ්ඩුකාර රොබට් බ්‍රවුන්රිග් ඉංග්‍රීසි කතෝලික පූජකවරුන්ට වහකෝට්ටේ කතෝලිකයන් බැලීමට යාමට ලිඛිත අවසර ලබාදුන්නේය. ඉන් පසු එහි කතෝලිකයන් මනරම් උස්බිම්කඩක් මත කුඩා දෙවස්ථානයක් ඉදිකර ගත්හ. 1838 දී රොම්නෙක්ස් ගෘහ නිර්මාණ ශිල්පයට අනුව බාල්ක නොමැතිව විශාල ආරුක්කු මත දේවස්ථානයක් ඉදිකර ගත් බව සඳහන්. පැවති පල්ලිය අබලන් වීම නිසා 1920 දී විශාල පල්ලියක් ඉදිකිරීම සැලසුම විය. පැවති පල්ලිය කඩා දමා නව පල්ලි ගොඩනැගිල්ල ඉදිකර නිමවූයේ 1938 දී යි. ගොතික් පුනරුද ශෛලියට අනුව දර්ශනීය දෙව්මැදුරක් එහි ඉදිවිය. බාල්ක රහිත වහලක් සහිත මෙම ගොඩනැගිල්ලේ පියස්සේ හරස් ලීයක් කොතැනකවත් දක්නට නොලැබේ.

වහකෝට්ටේ සා.අන්තෝනි ජාතික සිද්ධස්ථානය පිහිටීම

මෙම ඓතිහාසික දෙව්මැදුර මාතලේ දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ වයඹ දෙසින් ගලේවෙල නගරයේ සිට මාතලේ-ගලේවෙල ප්‍රධාන දණ්ඩේ සැතපුම් හතරක් දුරින් පිහිටා ඇත.කොළඹ සිට කි. මී. 137ක් දුරින් වහකෝට්ටේ පිහිටා තිබේ. මාතලේ දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ වයඹ දෙසින් ගලේවෙල නගරයේ සිට මාතලේ-ගලේවෙල ප්‍රධාන පාර ඔස්සේ කි. මී. 7ක් යන විට මේ ස්ථානයට ළගාවිය හැකිය. එය කොළඹ සිට වරකාපොල-කුරුණෑගල, ගලේවෙල සහ වහකෝට්ටේ හරහා කිලෝමීටර් 140 ක් පමණ දුරින් පිහිටා ඇත. මහනුවර සිට මාතලේ – පලාපත්වෙල සහ වහකෝට්ටේ හරහා කිලෝමීටර් 55 ක් පමණ වන අතර මීගමුවේ සිට කිලෝමීටර 130 ක් පමණ වේ. කුරුණෑගල – ගලේවෙල සහ වහකෝට්ටේ හරහා. හලාවත සිට කුරුණෑගල – ගලේවෙල සහ වහකෝට්ටේ ඔස්සේ කිලෝමීටර් 120 ක් පමණ දුරින් පිහිටා ඇත.

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This blog post may contain other affiliate links as well by which I earn commissions at no extra cost to you. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SA Graphics Official