St. Lucia's Cathedral, Kotahena, Sri Lanka

St. Lucia’s Cathedral, Kotahena, Sri Lanka

Reading Time: 20 minutes
5/5 - (10 votes)

St. Lucia’s Cathedral (Sinhala: කොටහේන ශාන්ත ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර; Tamil: புனித லூசியா பேராலயம்) is a Roman Catholic church and the first cathedral in Ceylon under the Archdiocese of Colombo in Sri Lanka. Situated at Kotahena to the north-east of Colombo, this magnificent edifice sprawls on 18,240 sq. feet of land, rises to a height of 150 feet, and has the capacity to accommodate 6,000 devotees in its nave. Named after the martyr saint Lucy, St. Lucia’s Cathedral Kotahena is the oldest and largest parish cathedral in Sri Lanka and the seat of the Archbishop of Colombo. The present cathedral has been a spiritual oasis and a heaven of rest for the Catholics in Kotahena, as well as the surrounding areas.

St. Lucia’s Cathedral Kotahena, Colombo, Sri Lanka, is dedicated St. Lucia of Syracuse, also known as St. Lucy, is the patron saint of vision and the blind. Lucy, who had taken a vow of virginity, angered a man who had wished to marry her. He denounced her as a Christian to the Roman Emperor. Lucy was martyred after several attempts to make her give up her faith, including gouging out her eyes. Miraculously unable to move her or burn her, Paschasius ordered the guards to remove her eyes. Finally, her neck was pierced by a sword and condemned to death in AD 304.

The legend concludes, however, with God restoring the Martyr’s eyes. Her eyes were miraculously restored to her body when her family set off to bury her—a gift from God, giving her the light of her eyesight back. Today, Saint Lucy is a source of hope for many who struggle with eye problems. Many stories have been handed down from generation to generation concerning St. Lucia. Following in the footsteps of her favourite saint, St. Agatha, she vowed to live a single life of blessedness, serving only God and the poor.

Kotahena has a mixture of several ethnic groups: Sinhalese, Tamils, Burghers, and Muslims, but religious harmony pervades here with caring and sharing among all communities and religions. St. Lucia’s Cathedral will remain as a testament to the resilient and faithful Catholic clergy and thousands of parishioners. St. Lucia’s Cathedral Kotahena is the legacy of our forefathers, whose fervent faith aspired to build this as a tribute to God. At the threshold of yet another century, this cathedral stands unsurpassed in beauty and magnificence, as it has always stood over the last one hundred years.

Related Post: St. Anthony’s Shrine Kochchikade, Colombo, Sri Lanka

The Statue of St. Lucy at St. Lucia's Cathedral
The Statue of St. Lucy at St. Lucia’s Cathedral

How is the name Kotahena derived?

Kotahena was first known as Kottan Chena, a chena of kottan (native almond) trees. Many opine its name is derived from the hundreds of Kottan trees that stood there, causing the village to be called ‘Kottanchena’. The Portuguese called the place Kotachena; the Dutch called it Kotanchena; and the British called it Cottan China and Kottanchina. In 1870, due to various criticisms and protests, it was called Kotahena. Kotahena has been a predominantly Catholic town for decades. This area, covering the Municipal Ward of Colombo 13, was once a quaint fishing hamlet in the 17th century.

History of St. Lucia Cathedral

St. Lucia Cathedral traces its humble origins to a small chapel of wood and cadjan built by the pioneering clergy of the Oratorian Order in 1760, when Ceylon was under Dutch occupation. The Dutch government had granted 10 acres of land to the bishop. By 1779, the Catholics of Kotahena had selected this hill to be the centre of their religious worship. This small chapel was replaced by a larger church of brick and mortar in 1782. It was in this era that the Dutch also set about building their Reformed Church on the hill at Wolvendaal, which stands in Colombo 12. Wolfendahal, loosely translated, means ‘dale of wolves’ which shows how these parts of Colombo once had dense woods.

In 1796, the Dutch and British soldiers were encamped on either side of the Kelani River, and a gun battle was imminent. It is said that the citizens on the Colombo side had taken refuge on the hill where the church stood. In 1796, the Dutch and British soldiers were encamped on either side of the Kelani River, and a gun battle was imminent. It is said that the citizens on the Colombo side had taken refuge on the hill where the church stood. The British expelled the Dutch in 1796 and annexed the entire island to the British Empire in 1815.

When Ceylon was detached from the jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Goa in 1834, Rev. Fr. Vincente Rozairo, who came from Goa, was appointed the first Vicar-Apostolic of Ceylon in 1838, and St. Lucia’s Cathedral became the first cathedral of Sri Lanka. Eventually, the foundation stone for a new cathedral building was laid to replace the old one. In 1873, Bishop H. D. Sillani and Rev. Fr. S. Tabarrani, men of great vision and talent, designed and initiated the building of St. Lucia’s Cathedral, thus planting the seeds of grandeur and magnificence of what was to be.

The Catholics of Colombo, the churches outside the city, and even the fishermen contributed their share to the building fund. The cathedral cost Rs 160,000 to build, which was an enormous amount in the last century, yet it was totally funded by the pious generosity of the Ceylonese Catholics of the time. The first phase was completed in 1881. Towards the end of 1887, the main body of the cathedral was complete, and the blessing of the cathedral took place in December of that year. However, the building of the cathedral took 30 years and was completed in 1902, when the scaffolding was finally dismantled and the site cleared.

The succeeding generations of parishioners and parish priests continued to embellish the cathedral with exquisite statues, often shipped from Europe. After a succession of European priests, Rev. Fr. Nereus Fernando became the first Sri Lankan parish priest of the cathedral in 1956. Under the dynamic leadership of Rev. Fr. Rufus Benedict, the cathedral was prepared for its centenary, which was celebrated in December 1987.

St. Lucia Of Syracuse

St. Lucia: the saint who lost her eyes and found the light…

When you enter this holy cathedral, what catches your eye first is the statue of St. Lucy enshrined on the main alter, holding a dish with her eyes on the palm of her hands. The story of Blessed Saint Lucia dates back to the 3rd century, when she died during the persecution of the Roman Emperor Diocletian. Though historical details are hard to confirm, legends about Saint Lucy had been handed down. Let us delve into the history of this Queen of Lights.

Lucy, or Lucia, as she was called, was born in Syracuse, Sicily, around the year 283 to a rich, Christian noble family. When she was five years old, her father died, leaving the responsibility of bringing her up to her mother, Eutychia. From her very early years, Lucy consecrated herself to God without mentioning it to anyone, not even her mother. As a young woman, she had pledged her life to the church and was hoping to spread her dowry to the poor. Eutychia suffered from hemorrhages and feared for Lucy’s future.

A half century earlier, the holy virgin Saint Agatha had been martyred forty miles north of Syracuse in the city of Cantania. Saint Agatha was revered as the glory of Cantania. Her tomb became a popular place of pilgrimage and the site of many miracles. Hopeful of a cure for her mother’s hemorrhages, Lucy convinced her mother to make a pilgrimage to Saint Agatha’s tomb. Eutychia agreed. While at the tomb, the two fervently prayed for a long time.

As they did, Lucy had a dream-like vision in which Saint Agatha appeared to her, informing her that her mother would be cured because of Lucy’s faith and that Lucy would become the glory of Syracuse, just as Agatha was the glory of Cantania. When Lucy awoke from her vision, she cried out, “O, mother, mother, you are healed!” She followed in the footsteps of her favourite saint, St. Agatha. From that moment on, Lucy continued to sense Saint Agatha speaking to her about her calling to be a bride of Christ and to die as a martyr.

Lucy’s mother, however, went against her daughter’s wishes and plans. Not knowing the intentions of her daughter, Lucy’s mother, Eutychia, had arranged for her daughter’s marriage to a non-Christian nobleman from a pagan family. But Lucy stood her ground and resorted even more to a life of prayer and sacrifice, realizing that there was a much more powerful partner in life for her—Jesus Christ.

She informed her mother of her desire to remain a virgin and begged her to offer their wealth to the poor. Her mother hesitated, suggesting it would be better for Lucy to do so once Eutychia had died, but Lucy urged her to do so right away because it would be a source of much greater merit. She continued to postpone her marriage and spent the next few years joyfully distributing her money and jewels to the poor.

Around the year 304, when Lucy was around the age of twenty-one, her suitor became aware of the large sums of money that she had distributed to the poor, and his bride-to-be was already promised to the church. He was also aware that Lucy had done so on account of her Christian faith and realized that she was not going to become his bride. Enraged, he reported Lucy to Paschasius, the Governor of Syracuse, denouncing her as a Christian. When Governor Paschasius of Syracuse learned of Lucy’s Christian faith and her charity to the poor, he had her arrested and interrogated. He attempted to force her to apostatize by offering sacrifice to the Roman gods, but she refused.

Lucy then accused the governor of demon worship and prophesied his condemnation before God. The governor was outraged and ordered her to be defiled in a brothel. Legend says that when the guards came to take her away, they could not move her; she was heavier than a boulder. They even tried to move her with a rope tied to the yoke of the oxen, but she didn’t budge. The guards then surrounded her with wood to burn her, but the flames did not harm her. At this stage, an enraged Paschasius ordered her eyes to be gouged out. Lucy was killed by the sword, and God permitted her martyrdom to be completed in AD 304.

Paschasius ordered his soldiers to take the young girl to a nearby brothel and there defile her.
“You can try.” Lucia sat down on the ground.
The guards heaved.
The guards pushed.
The guards pulled.
Little Lucia could not be budged, making one think of  “and all the king’s horses and all the king’s men,couldn’t get Humpty up again“

“I’ll burn you alive if you don’t sacrifice to the emperor,” Paschasius said.
“Do your best,” Lucia said calmly, adjusting her hair. Tapers were brought and held to the wood. Nothing happened. Oil was poured on the wood, more tapers were brought. Nothing happened. By now, Paschasius was jumping up and down in frustration. Lucia just smiled.

Saint Lucy is often depicted in sacred art holding her eyes because much later legends state that either the guards gouged her eyes out as torture or that she gouged her own eyes out so that her suitor would no longer be tempted by their beauty. When her body was taken to the family mausoleum, people were shocked to see her eyes restored. It was this encounter which drew attention to the departed Lucy. Since then, paintings depict her holding her eyes on a golden plate. Whatever the facts of the legends surrounding St. Lucy are, the truth is that her courage to stand up fearlessly and be counted a Christian in spite of torture and death, is the light that should lead us on our own journey through life.

Her name Lucy means ‘light’ and so she became the patron saint for the “Light of the eyes”. Today, this virgin and martyr is universally acclaimed as the saint of the blind, those afflicted with eye ailments and weak eyesight. Many stories have been handed down from generation to generation concerning St. Lucy. She vowed to live a single life of blessedness, serving only God and the poor.

Veneration to Saint Lucy quickly spread, and her prophetic dream-vision came true—she became the glory and protector of Syracuse and the source of many miracles. By the end of the sixth century, she was so revered throughout the Roman Empire that Pope Saint Gregory the Great inserted her name into the Roman Canon (Eucharistic Prayer I): “Graciously grant some share and fellowship with your holy Apostles and Martyrs: with John the Baptist, Stephen, Matthias, Barnabas, Ignatius, Alexander, Marcellinus, Peter, Felicity, Perpetua, Agatha, Lucy, Agnes, Cecilia, Anastasia and all your Saints…”

The fact that a young virgin martyr would become so revered and honored for many centuries after her birth is a testimony to the power of God. Saint Lucy not only imitated her Lord, but in her humility, she reflected the glory of the Mother of God, who, in her song of praise, proclaimed, “For he has looked upon his handmaid’s lowliness; behold, from now on will all ages call me blessed. The Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. (Luke 1:49–49).

Image credit goes to its respective owners – Paschasius ordered her eyes to be gouged out
Image credit goes to its respective owners – Eventually, Lucia was killed with a sword.

✝️ Prayer to Saint Lucy ✝️

Saint Lucy, your beautiful name signifies light. By the light of faith which God bestowed upon you, increase and preserve this light in my soul so that I may avoid evil, be zealous in the performance of good works, and abhor nothing so much as the blindness and the darkness of evil and of sin.

By your intercession with God, obtain for me perfect vision for my bodily eyes and the grace to use them for God’s greater honour and glory and the salvation of all men.

Saint Lucy, virgin and martyr, hear my prayers and obtain my petitions.

Amen.

St. Lucia’s Cathedral Architecture

St. Lucia’s Cathedral is a massive structure built in distinct Gothic architecture. The facade of the church rests on massive ionic columns, and it’s adorned with seven statues. Silhouetted against the sky is the cross on the concrete lantern crowning the dome, the pinnacle of the cathedral. The interior consists of large statues of saints, beautiful wooden carvings, and intricate glass stained windows. Rising above the main altar is a statue of Saint Lucy holding up her eyes on the palm of her hand.

Its facade has four majestic pillars rising into the ceiling. On the topmost border,, there are statues of Blessed Mary, St. Lucia, St. Anthony, St. Peter, St. Paul, and St. Francis of Assisi. A clock with Roman numerals still indicates the time. The large dome was once subject to a crack when the Japanese bombed Ceylon in April 1942. The crack began to widen, and in 1957, it took a full year to repair it. The aisles are long and wide. On the massive columns that support the structure, there are many statues, among which the most popular are those of Saint Aloysius, Saint Francis Xavier, Saint Vincent de Paul, Saint Cecelia, and Saint John de La Salle. The main altar has a crucifix and the words INRI engraved at the top.

Along the side aisles are ornate, larger-than-life statues of saints, sculpted and painted in minute detail. Many of these statues were installed in 1924 by Rev. Fr. J. Milliner, who was a gifted artist. Open confessionals of intricately carved dark wood are also placed along the aisles. On the left, in front of the sanctuary, is a unique dark skinned statue of the Madonna called “Our Lady of Kotahena.” This statue is taken in procession during the “Month of May” celebrations. Altars of white marble are located in the transepts of the church, with relics enshrined within them. Surmounted on the main altar is a beautiful, larger-than life statue of St. Lucy holding up her eyes on the palm of her hand. The exquisite stained glass windows, when lit by sunlight, create a panorama of colour further enhancing the transepts of the church. In a far corner of the church is an enchanting Baptismal Font of white marble. It is circular in shape, carved with cherubs and a statue of John the Baptist crowns it.

Another important feature of the cathedral is its four bells. When you go up the narrow staircase that leads to the choir loft, you come upon “Anthony Thomas,” an enormous bell weighing 4300 lbs. Intricately engraved on this bell are elaborate floral wreaths and various holy figures and symbols of Christianity. It is the largest of the four bells shipped from Marseilles and christened at the cathedral in 1903. Over the decades,, these bells have pealed in jubilation and tolled in mourning. The second bell, “Henry Lucia Emilia,” weighs 2,000 pounds, and the third bell, “Francis Theresa,” weighs 1,400 pounds. Weighing 950 pounds, the small bell is christened Jean Baptist Edward Anna. The view of the cathedral from the choir loft is enthralling, and the episcopal throne of the Archbishop of Colombo stands out majestically.

St. Lucia's Cathedral

Birth of Catholic schools

It was St. Lucia’s Cathedral that impacted the boys of St. Benedict’s College and the girls of Good Shepherd Convent.

St. Benedicts Institute was founded by Abbot Hilarion Sillani, OSB, in 1865. Today, St. Benedict’s College has grown into one of the finest Catholic boys’ schools on the island, with many of its students faithfully enrolling in the seminary and becoming the next generation of clergymen. The De La Salle Brothers came to Ceylon in 1867. These dedicated men influenced generations of Catholics, and the La Sallian brothers continue to perform a great service to the students of Sri Lanka.

Christian zeal gained momentum with the arrival of the Good Shepherd Order in 1869. These religious sisters were welcomed and loved by all in Kotahena, and they too continue to faithfully uphold the shining light of their spiritual witness. The sisters soon began the Good Shepherd Convent in May 1869, where thousands of girls have received a holistic education. St. Lucia’s College was built in 1918. It was from this cathedral that the much-loved Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SVP) was introduced to the Ceylonese in 1907. Today, SVP does tremendous service, manned by volunteers.

Feast of St. Lucia’s Cathedral Kotahena

St. Lucia’s Cathedral celebrates the feast of St. Lucy on December 13; in addition to “Corpus Christi” and the “Month of May” festival. The day of the celebration begins with a trilingual festive mass conducted by the bishop. On the eve of that day, the relevant statue is taken in procession around the streets of Kotahena, followed by school bands, around 60 flag bearers with the flags of different nations, and the various associations of the cathedral. During the feast, the whole of Kotahena is infected with a festive mood, and the houses along the procession route are decorated by the residents.

Image credit goes to its respective owners

How to reach St. Lucia’s Cathedral?

The cathedral is located at Kotahena, in the north east of Colombo, on 18,240 sq. ft. of land.

Important Information

  • Address: St. Lucia’s Cathedral, St Lucia’s St, Colombo 13, Sri Lanka.
  • Contact Number: +94-112432080
  • Timing: 05:00 am–08:00 pm
  • Best time to visit St. Lucia’s Cathedral (preferred time): 2:00 pm–05:00 pm
  • Time required to visit St. Lucia’s Cathedral: 00:30 min
  • Entry: Free
සාන්ත ලුසියා තුමිය
According to tradition, St. Lucy consecrated her virginity to God. An angry suitor reported her to the local Roman authorities, who sentenced her to be removed to a brothel and forced into prostitution. This order was thwarted, according to legend, by divine intervention; Lucy became immovable and could not be carried away. Then she was sentenced to death by fire. Although she miraculously survived the flames without harm, she was eventually fatally stabbed in the neck. St. Lucia is the patron saint of the city of Syracuse (Sicily).

✝️ ප්‍රාණපරිත්‍යගි සාන්ත ලුසියා තුමිය ✝️

ක්‍රි.ව. 283 ඉතාලියේ සිසිලි දූපතේ සිරකූසා නගරයේ ප්‍රභූ පවුලක උපත ලැබූ මෙතුමිය කුඩා කලදීම තම කන්‍යා ජිවිතය සමිඳාණන් වහන්සේට කැප කළේය. මෙතුමියගේ පියා මිය යාමෙන් පසු තම මව විසින් අන්‍යාගමික තරුණයෙක් සරණ පාවා දීමට තීරණය කලාය. මෙහීදී මෙතුමියට ආදර්ශයක් වූයේ තමන්ට සුළු කලකට පෙර තම කන්‍යා ජීවිතය රැකගෙන තම ස්වාමි පුරුෂයාද කිතුනු ආගමට කැඳවූ රෝමයේ සා: සිසිලියා කන්‍යාවගේ විශිෂ්ට ජීවිතයයි.

සා. ලුසියා තුමියගේ මව ලේ මාලය රෝගය පෙළෙමින් සිටියදී ඇය බියපත් වී තවත් ප්‍රාණපරිත්‍යාගී කන්‍යාවක් වූ ඉතාලියේ කතානියා නගරයේ සා. ආගතා තුමියගේ ප්‍රාතිහාර්යාත්මක සොහොන වෙත ගොස් එම රෝගය සුව කර දෙන මෙන් සා. ලුසියා තුමියත් සමඟ යාච්ඤා කිරීමෙන් සම්පූර්ණ සුවය ලැබූ අතර ලුසියා තුමියගේ සිතැඟියාවන්ට ඉඩ දෙමින් ඔවුන්ට අයිති වස්තුවෙන් වැඩිම කොටස දිළිඳුන්ට බෙදා දුන්නාහ. මෙය දුටු අන්‍යාගමික තරුණයා කෝප වී ලුසියා තුමිය කිතුනුවකු බව ආණ්ඩුකාරයාට සැල කළේය. දියෝක්ලේසියානු යන කෲරතරම ක්‍රිස්තියානි පීඩකයාගේ පාලන සමය වූ එකල ලුසියා තුමියට ඉතා උග්‍ර පීඩන වලට මූණ දෙන්නට සිදු වුනාය. තමන්ගේ මුළු ජීවිතයම කැප කර ඇති තම සමිඳාණන් වහන්සේ වන ජේසුස් ක්‍රිස්තුන් වහන්සේව ප්‍රතික්ෂේප කිරීම කුමන කරුණක් නිසාවත් නොකල හැකි බැවින් සෑම පීඩාවක්ම ප්‍රීතියෙන් දරා ගත්තාය.

ලුසියා තුමිය තම ජීවිතය ක්‍රිස්තුන් වහන්සේ උදෙසා කැප කර ඇති බව දැන බලධාරීන් ඊට අභියෝග කරමින් මෙතුමියව ගණිකා මඩමක ගණිකාවක් ලෙස සේවය කරන්නට නියෝග කලත් බලගතු දිව්‍යමය මැදිහත් කමකින් එය සිදු කිරීමට දෙවියන් වහන්සේ ඉඩ නොදෙමින් එතුමියගේ කන්‍යා ජීවිතය සමිඳුන් උදෙසා කැප කල තීරණයේ බලය පෙන්නුම් කලහ. ඉන්පසු මෙතුමිය මිය යන තෙක් පුළුස්සා දැමීමට කටයුතු කරත් එයත් අසාර්ථක වෙමින් ගින්න මත සුවසේ හිඳිනු දැක ගන්නට හැකි විය. ඉන්පසුව ඉතා කෘර ලෙස මෙතුමියගේ ඇස් උගුල්ලා දැමුවේය. ලතින් භාෂාවේ ලුසියා යනු ආලෝකය යන අර්ථය දෙන බැවින් ඇස් උගුල්ලා දැමූවත් ලෝකයේ ආලෝකය නොපෙනුනත් දෙවියන් වහන්සේගේ ආලෝකය මෙතුමියට ලැබී ඇති බව අපට පෙන්වා දෙන්නේය. ක්‍රි.ව 304 දෙසැම්බර් 13 වන දින කඩුවකින් මෙතුමියගේ ගෙල සිඳලනු ලැබූහ. මෙසේ ප්‍රාණපරිත්‍යාගී සා: ලුසියා තුමියගේ විරෝධාර ප්‍රාණ පරිත්‍යාගය සමස්ථ ශු.සභාවටම ආලෝකයක් ගෙන දුන්නා සේම කිතුනු තරුණියන්ට මහඟු ආදර්ශයක් වුනාය. සිරකූසා නගරයේ නාම සාන්තුවරිය ලෙස බුහුමන් කරන අතර දෘෂ්‍යාබාධ සුව කිරීමට මෙතුමියට විශේෂයෙන් යාච්ඤා කරනු ලබයි.

දෙවියන් වහන්සේගේ ආලෝකයට වැඩි වැඩියෙන් විවෘත වන්නටත් ශාරීරික ආලෝකයට නොව සමිඳුන් ප්‍රදානය කරන අධ්‍යාත්මික ආලෝකයට විවෘත වන්නටත් වරම් වරප්‍රසාද ලැබෙන ලෙස දෙවි පියාණන් ඉදිරියේ මැදිහත් වන මෙන් මෙතුමියට යාච්ඤා කරමු..!

🌹👑 ප්‍රාණපරිත්‍යාගී ශු. ලුසියා කන්‍යාවෙනි අප නිසා යාච්ඤා කළ මැනව. 🌹👑

උපුටාගැනීමකි – සතුට යනු කතොලිකයකු වීමයි

A statue of St. Lucy on display during a Santa Lucia celebration in Syracuse, Italy. (Image: Wikipedia)

කොටහේන පිළිබඳ ඉතිහාසය

ශා. ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර පිහිටා ඇති කොටහේන ඉතා රසවත් ඉතිහාසයක් ඇති ප්‍රදේශයකි. එහි ආසන දෙව්මැදුරේ ඉතිහාසය ද ඉතා රසවත් ය. කොළඹ නුවරක් සැටියට දියුණු වූයේ කෝට්ටේ යුගයෙන් පසුව යි. ඉන් පෙර අද කොළඹ කොටුව ලෙස හැඳින්වෙන ප්‍රදේශය සහ ඇතැම් මුහුද අද්දර ප්‍රදේශ හැර අන් පළාත් ඉතා කැලෑබද පෙදෙස් ලෙස පැවැතිනි. කොළඹ 07 හෙවත් කුරුදු වත්ත කුරුදු කැලයක් විය. මරදාන පාළු බිමක් මෙන් ම රාත්‍රි කාලයේ සොරුන්ගේ පාරාදීසයක් වූ අති උතුම් ඔස්වල්ඩ් ගෝමිස් හිමිපාණෝ විස්තර කර ඇත.

කොටහේන – කොට්ටන් ගස් වැවුණු හේනක් වූ නිසා කොට්ටන්හේන යනුවෙන් ප්‍රසිද්ධ විය. එය උස් කදු ගැට්ටක් වූ අතර එය වටා වූයේ පහත් බිමෙකි. අද බ්ලූමෙන්ඩෝල් ලෙස හදුන්වනු ලබන්නේ එය යි. එහි පොල් ගස් කිහිපයක් ද වැඩුණු බව කියැවේ. පෘතුගීසින් ද කොට්ටන් – හේන යන නම බොහෝ දුරට රැකගෙන එය “කොටචේන” යැයි හැඳින් වූ අතර ඕලන්දයෝ එය “කොටන්චේන” ලෙස හැඳින්වූහ. එහෙත් ඉංග්‍රීසින්ගේ පාලනය ආරම්භ වීමත් සමඟ මෙය “කොට්ටන් චීනය” ලෙස ද, තවදුරටත් “කොට්ටන්චීන” ලෙස ද විකෘති වුණි. වාසනාවකට මෙන් ක්‍රි.ව. 1870 පමණ වන විට මේ ප්‍රදේශය යළි “කොටහේන” ලෙස ම හැඳින්වීම ආරම්භ වූ බව කියැවේ. කෙසේ හෝ කොටහේනේ මෙම කදුකරය ආදීයේ සිට ම කතෝලිකයන් වාසය කළ පෙදෙසක් බවට පත් වී තිබුණි.

කොළඹ අගරදගුරු වසමේ හදවත බඳුවූ කොටහේන ශා. ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර

කොළඹ අගරදගුරු වසමේ ආසන දෙව්මැදුර වන ශා. ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර නුතන ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ දේවස්ථාන අතුරින් සුවිශේෂී ස්ථානයක් හිමිකරගෙන සිටින අගනුවරේ ගොඩනැගිලි අතුරින් ඓතිහාසික මෙන්ම ගෞරවාභිමානය ලක්ව පවතින්නකි. එය කොළඹ අගරදගුරු වසමේ හදවත බඳුය. වත්මන් දේවස්ථානයට පෙරාතුව දේවස්ථාන දෙකක් මෙහි ස්ථාපනය වී තිබූ අතර පළමු දේවස්ථාන දෙක ගෝවේ ඔරතෝරියාන නිකායික පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේලා විසින් ඉදිකරන ලදී. ලංකාව ලන්දේසි ආක්‍රමණයට යටත්ව පැවති සමයේ ඔරටෝරියානු නිකායික පුරෝගාමී පූජකවරුන් විසින් 1760 දී ලෑලිවලින් සාදා පොල් අතු සෙවිලි කරන ලද කුඩා දේවස්ථානයක් ඉදිකල අතර එය ශාන්ත ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුරෙහි මූලාරම්භයයි.

ඕලන්ද පීඩනය කොතරම් දරුණු වූවත් මෙහි විසූ කතෝලික පිරිස තම ආගමික විශ්වාසයවත් බිම් ප්‍රදේශ පාවා නුදුන් බව සදහන් වන අතර ඕලන්ද රජය ඉදිරියේ ඔවුන් කොපමණ ශක්තිමත් වූහයි ද කිවහොත්, පීඩනය මෙල්ල කිරිමත් සමඟ ම මේ ඉඩම් ප්‍රමාණය සඳහා ඔහු ඕලන්ද රජයෙන් නීත්‍යානුකූල ඔප්පුවක් ලබා ගත්තෝ ය. ක්‍රි.ව. 1779 අප්‍රේල් 21 වනදා සදහන් ඉඩම් ඔප්පුව අනුව අද සා. ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර පිහිටා ඇති බිම අයිති වන්නේ එකල කොචින් රදගුරු හිමිපාණන්ගේ ලක්දිව අනුනායකතුමන් හරහා පසුව (කොළඹ) අගරදගුරු හිමිපාණන්ට හිමිවී ඇත. මෙම බිම් ප්‍රමාණය අක්කර 10 ක් පමණ වූ අතර දෙපසක් මායිම් වූයේ මහා මාර්ගයන් ගෙන් ය. එකල මේ ප්‍රදේශයේ පැරණිත ම දෙව්මැදුර වූයේ කොළඹ කොච්චිකඩේ ශා. අන්තෝනි දෙව්මැදුර යි. ක්‍රි.ව. 1782 දී කොටහේනේ පළමු ගලෙන් හුණෙන් සමන්විත දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකිරිමේ වැඩකටයුතු අරඹන ලදී. මේ වන විට පැරණි වී තිබුණු එම දෙව්මැදුරු ගොඩනැඟිල්ල කඩා දමා, ක්‍රි.ව. 1782 දී එම බිමේ ම නව හා දෙවැනි දෙව්මැදුරු ගොඩනැඟිල්ල ආරම්භ විය.

කොටහේනේ මෙම සාන්ත ලුසියා (දෙවැනි) දෙව්මැදුර සමස්ත ලංකා කතෝලික ඉතිහාසයේ ඉතා වැදගත් සිද්ධීන් රැසකට සම්බන්ධ වී තිබේ. ඊට පෙරාතුව ලක්දිව ගෝවේ ඔරතෝරියාන නිකායික ධර්මදුතවරුන්ගේ මධ්‍යස්ථාන වූයේ ජුසේ වාස් මුනිතුමන්ගේ සමයේදී මහනුවර ද , ගෞ. ජෝශප් මෙනසිස් පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේගේ සමයේදී පුත්තලම ද, අති පුජ්‍ය පඩිවර ජාකෝමේ ගොන්සාල්වෙස් ධර්ම පණ්ඩිත පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේගේ සමයේදී බෝලවත්ත ද , ක්‍රි.ව. 1746 දී ශ්‍රී විජය රාජසිංහ රජුගේ පීඩනයෙන් පසු මහනුවර රාජාධානියට අයත් දේවස්ථාන කඩා බිද දැමීම හේතුවෙන් වන්නියේ පරපාන්කන්දල් ද , ඉන් පසුව ක්‍රි.ව. 1782 න් පසු කොටහේන ද ලෙසිනි. ක්‍රි.ව. 1796 ඕලන්දයින් සහ ඉංග්‍රීසින් කොළඹ අවසාන සටන සඳහා කැළණි ගං ඉවුර දෙපස රැස් වූ විට ආරක්ෂාව පැතූ සිවිල් ජනතාව දිව ගොස් ඇත්තේ කොටහේනේ මේ දෙව්මැදුරට යි.

එම යුගයේ ජීවත් වූ කතෝලිකයෝ එම දෙව්මැදුර ගැන සාඩම්බරයෙන් කතා කළහ. එය ඉතා ඉහළින් සැලැකූහ. මේ දෙව් මැදුරේ කොටසක් වෙන්කොට එහි පැරණි වස්තූන් ආරක්ෂිතව තබන ලදී . ආදී කතෝලික යුගයේ ඓතිහාසික වටිනාකම් ඇති කෞතුක වස්තූන් රැසක් මෙයට ඇතුළත්ව තිබි‚. ඒ අතර පෘතුගීසි සමයේදී මෙරට දහම් ප්‍රචාරක සේවා කළ ප්‍රථම කණ්ඩායමේ පියතුමකු වූ ප්‍රැන්සිස්කාන නිකායික ගෞ. මොන්ටෙයිරෝ ද සෙතුවෙල් පියතුමාගේ සොහොන් ගැබ වසා තිබුණ ශිලා ස්ථම්භය ද එහි විය. මෙය කොළඹ කොටුවේ බැටන්බර්ග් මුර කුටිය යට තිබී, ක්‍රි.ව. 1836 දී හමු වී තිබේ. මෙය කතෝලික සභාවට බාර කරන ලදුව ඉතා ගෞරවයෙන් පෙරහැරෙන් ගෙනැවිත් මෙම ප්‍රධාන දෙව්මැදුරේ තැන්පත් කරන ලදැයි වාර්තා වේ. මීට අමතරව පළමු කතෝලික රජු වන දොන් ජුවාන් ධර්මපාල රජු භුමිදානය කරන ලද්දේ ” ගෝඩන් ගාඩන්ස් ” හෙවත් ගෝඩන් මල් උයන පිටුපස එවකට ප්‍රැන්සිස්කාන තාපසාරාමය පිහිටි සාන්ත අන්තෝනි දෙව්මැදුර ඇතුළත ය. මෙම ස්ථානයේ ද තිබී හමුවූ කතෝලික හා රෙපරමාදු කෞතුක වස්තූන් වුල්වන්ඩාල් හෙවත් ” සාන්ත බස්තියම ” අසල කදු මුදුනේ පිහිටි රෙපරමාදු දෙව්මැදුරටත් කොටහේනේ කතෝලික දෙව්මැදුරටත් ලබා දුන් බව සදහන් වේ.

මෙම දෙවන දෙව්මැදුර අනූ වසරක් පමණ පැවත ගොඩනැඟිල්ල දිරාපත් වීම සහ වහල කඩා වැටෙන තරමට ම පත් වී තිබුණ නිසා එය ඉවත් කොට නව ගොඩනැඟිල්ලක් අනිවාර්යයෙන් ම ඉදිකළ යුතු විය. එම නිසා ක්‍රි.ව. 1873 අගෝස්තු මස 18 වන දින සිට කඩා ඉවත් කරන ලදී. මේ අනුව අද අප ඉදිරියේ ඉතා මහේශාක්‍ය සහ තේජස්සම්පන්න පෙනුමෙන් යුත් සා. ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර එහි පිහිටා ඇති තෙවැනි දෙව්මැදුර යි.

අභිනව දෙව්මැදුර සඳහා අවශ්‍ය වූ දැව ලබාගැනීම සදහා පෙරමුණ ගෙන ඇත්තේ ගෝවේ ඔරතෝරියාන නිකායික ගේබ්‍රියෙල් පචේකෝ පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේය. ආර්නල්ඩෝ නමැති එතුමන්ගේ මිතුරකු මගින් ගස් කැපීමේ අවසරය ලබා ගත් එතුමන් දැව රැගෙන එන ලද්දේ අළුත්කූරු කෝරළේ සිට බව සදහන් වේ. ගස් කැපීම සඳහා ද දැව ප්‍රවාහනය කිරිම සඳහා ද අළුත්කූරු කෝරළේ මුදලිතුමන් සහ කොටහේනේ ම කතෝලික පි‍රිස සහාය වූ බවත් , මෙම දැව ප්‍රවාහනය කරන ඇත්තේ පැරණි ඕලන්ද ඇල මාර්ගයේ සිට බවත් කියැවේ. අප පැරණි දෙව්මැදුරු කිහිපයක් මෙම ඇලට හෝ හැමිල්ටන් ඇලට හෝ මුහුණ ලා ඉදිකර ඇත්තේ එබැවිනි. උදාහරණ ලෙස උස්වැටකෙයියාව , පමුණුගම , බෝපිටිය , වෑවල , දෑලතුර , වැල්ලපල්ලිය … වැනි දේවස්ථාන නම් කළ හැකිය.

වත්මන් ආසන දෙව්මැදුරට මුලපිරීම

අප හමුවේ අද විරාජමානව වැජඹෙන ආසන දෙව්මැදුර සිල්වෙස්ත්‍රෝ බෙනදිකාන නිකායික ධර්මදුතවරුන්ගේ සුවිශේෂී නිර්මාණයක් බව මෙහිලා කෘතවේදිව සදහන් කළ යුතුමය. මෙම මහේශාක්‍ය සහ තේජස්සම්පන්න පෙනුමෙන් යුත් දෙව්මැදුර අති උතුම් හිලේරියන් සිල්ලානි ( සා.බෙ.නි.) රාජගුරුප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේගේ සිහිනයකි.

දකුණු අනුපදවියේ රදගුරු සිල්වෙස්ත්‍රෝ බෙනදිකාන නිකායික අති උතුම් හිලේරියන් සිල්ලානි හිමිපාණන්ගේ සමයේදී වත්මන් ආසන දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකරන්නට මුලපිරීය. ඊට හේතුකාරය වූයේ , ගෝවේ ඔරතෝරියාන නිකායික ධර්මදුතවරුන් විසින් ඉදිකර තිබූ , අනූ වසරක් පමණ පැවැති මුල් ගොඩනැඟිල්ල දිරාපත් වීම නිසාත් වහල කඩා වැටෙන තරමට ම පත්වී තිබුණ නිසාත් මෙය ඉවත් කොට නව ගොඩනැඟිල්ලක් අනිවාර්යයෙන් ම ඉදිකළ යුතු විය.

ක්‍රි.ව. 1872 සැප්තැම්බර් 08 වන දින දකුණු අනුපදවියේ රදගුරු සිල්වෙස්ත්‍රෝ බෙනදිකාන නිකායික අති උතුම් හිලේරියන් සිල්ලානි හිමිපාණන් ද දකුණු අනුපදවියේ පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේලා ද කොළඹ නගරයේ වගකිවයුත්තන්ගේ රැස්වීමක් ද කැඳවා එකල කඩා වැටීමේ අවදානමට ලක්ව ඇති ආසන දෙව්මැදුර වෙනුවට නව ආසන දෙව්මැදුරක් ඉදිකිරීමේ සැලසුම් ආරම්භ කරන ලදී. එය කොළඹ නගරයේ සුවිශේෂී මං සලකුණක් ලෙස ද නිර්මාණය විය යුතු බවට කතිකා වුණි. ඊට අවශ්‍ය අරමුදල් ද එකතු කිරීමට සැලසුම් සකස් කරන ලදී. මෙම අභිනව ආසන දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකිරීම අති උතුම් හිලේරියන් සිල්ලානි ( සා.බෙ.නි.) හිමිපාණන්ගේ සිහිනයක් විය.

ඒ අනුව අභිනව දේවස්ථානය ඉදිකිරීම ආරම්භ කිරීමට පෙරාතුව ක්‍රි.ව. 1873 අගෝස්තු මස 15 වන දින දේවමාතාවන්ගේ ස්වර්ගාරෝපිත මංගලෝත්සවය පවත්වා ( කොළඹ අනුපදවියේ නාමසාන්තුවරිය ) ක්‍රි .ව. 1873 අගෝස්තු මස 18 වන දින ඉපැරණි දෙව්මැදුර කඩා ඉවත් කරන්නට ආරම්භ කරන ලදී. 1873 වසරේදී මුල් ගල තැබූ අතර දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකිරීම සදහා එවකට ධර්මදුතවරයෙකු වූ ශා. ජෙරොම් නිකායික ගෞ. ස්ටැනිස්ලාවුස් තම්බ්‍රානි පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේ සැලසුම් සකස් කළ අතර එය නිර්මාණය කරන ලද්දේ රෝමයේ ශා. පීතර බැසිලිකාවේ අනුරුවක් ලෙසටය.

මේ කටයුත්ත සඳහා අලුත්කූරු කෝරළේ රාගම්පත්තුවේ ජනතාව විශාල සහයෝගයක් දැක්වූ බව වාර්තා ගතවී ඇත. මෙම ශ්‍රම සහාය විශේෂයෙන් දක්වන ලද්දේ අලුත් හෙවත් තුන් වැනි දෙව්මැදුරු ගොඩනැඟිල්ල සඳහා අත්තිවාරම් කැපීමට යි. මේ සඳහා ප්‍රබල සහයෝගයක් ලැබී ඇත්තේ නාගොඩ ජනතාවගෙන් ය. එය ඇගයීමක් ලෙස පැරණි දෙව්මැදුරෙන් ගලවන ලද අල්තාරය පිටුපස බිත්තිය වසා තිබූ විසිතුරු තිරය හෙවත් ඊර්ඩෝස් තිරය නාගොඩ දෙව්මැදුරට තිළිණ කරන ලදී. මෙම ලී තිරය විශාල පරිශ්‍රමයක් දරා ප්‍රවාහනයකොට ගෙනැවිත් ඔව්හු නාගොඩ ශු. ස්නාවක ජුවාම් මුනිතුමන්ගේ දෙව්මැදුරේ සවි කළෝ ය. මෙය නාගොඩ ජනතාව ලද වටිනා කලා වස්තුවක් බව කිව යුතුයි.

අද අප ඉදිරියේ ඉතා මහේශාක්‍ය පෙනුමෙන් යුත් සා. ලුසියා ආසන දෙව්මැදුර එහි පිහිටා ඇති තෙවැනි දෙව්මැදුර වේ. අභිනව ආසන දෙව්මැදුර නිමවන තෙක් දකුණු අනුපදවියේ රදගුරුතුමන්ගේ නිල ආසන දෙව්මැදුර ලෙස අලුත්හෙට්ටිවීදියේ වික්ෂෝප මාතා දේවස්ථානය භාවිතා කළ අතර කොටහේන ජනතාවගේ දේවවන්දනා පිළිවෙත් සදහා ශා. බෙනදික් විද්‍යාල පරිශ්‍රය භාවිතා කරන ලදී. මෙම අභිනව ආසන දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකිරීම සදහා එවකට ධර්මදුතවරයෙකු වූ ශා. ජෙරොම් නිකායික ගෞ. ස්ටැනිස්ලාවුස් තම්බ්‍රානි පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේ සැලසුම් සකස් කළ අතර එය නිර්මාණය කරන ලද්දේ රෝමයේ ශා. පීතර බැසිලිකාවේ අනුරුවක් ලෙසටය.

ක්‍රි.ව. 1877 වසරේ දී නව ආසන දෙව්මැදුරේ වැඩ කටයුතු සදහා අරමුදල් ප්‍රමාණවත් නොවීම හේතුවෙන් වැඩකටයුතු අතරමග නතර කිරීමට සිදුවිය. ක්‍රි.ව. 1878 වසරේ දී සිය රෝගාතුර භාවය හේතුවෙන් අති උතුම් හිලේරියන් සිල්ලානි ( සා.බෙ.නි.) හිමිපාණන් ආපසු ඉතාලියට ගිය අතර එහිදී එතුමන් අංශභාග රෝගයෙන් පෙළී ක්‍රි.ව. 1879 මාර්තු මස 27 වන දින රෝමයේ දී ස්වර්ගස්ථ වුයේය. ක්‍රි.ව. 1880 දී ගෞ. ස්ටැනිස්ලාවුස් තම්බ්‍රානි පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේ ලංකාවේ ධර්මදුතික මෙහෙවර නිමාකොට රෝමය බලා ගිය අතර එතුමාණෝ ද ක්‍රි.ව. 1882 පෙබරවාරි මස 05 වන දින ගිය අතර පසුව රෝමයේ පිහිටි ශා. ජෙරොම් පැවිදි පංතියේ තාපසාරාමයක දී ස්වර්ගස්ථ වුණි.

ඉන් පසුව ආසන දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකිරීමේ කටයුතු ඉදිරියට රැගෙන යන ලද්දේ බෙනදිකාන නිකායික බොනිෆස් බැල්ඩෝනි පුජාප්‍රසාදීන් වහන්සේය. එතුමන්ගේ අප්‍රහිත දිරියේ ප්‍රතිඵලයක් ලෙස අභිනව ආසන දෙව්මැදුරේ ශු. අල්තාර කොටස හා ආරුක්කු හතර නිම කරන ලදී. නව ආරුක්කු මත වැඩ නිමවීමෙන් අනතුරුව එවකට දකුණු අනුපදවියේ රදගුරු අති උතුම් ක්ලෙමන්ට් පඤ්ඤනි හිමිපාණන් විසින් ක්‍රි.ව. 1881 අගෝස්තු මස 05 වන දින දේවවන්දනාව සදහා විවෘත කරන ලදී. එමගින් අති උතුම් හිලේරියන් සිල්ලානි හිමිපාණන්ගේ සිහිනය සැබෑවූ අතර එහි පැවැත්වූ පළමු දිව්‍ය යාගය ඔප්පු කරන ලද්දේ අභිනව ආසන දෙව්මැදුර ඉදිකරන්නට පුරෝගාමී වූ නැසීගියාවූ විශ්වාසකයින්ගේ ආත්මයන් උදෙසා වීම ද සුවිශේෂී වේ. ක්‍රි.ව. 1881 අගෝස්තු මස 15 වන දින අති උත්සවාකාරයෙන් මෙම ආසන දෙව්මැදුර තුළ දකුණු අනුපදවියේ නාමසාන්තුවරිය වූ ස්වර්ගාරෝපිත රාජේශ්වරියගේ මංගලෝත්සවය සමරන ලදී.

Reference(s): Sunday Observer | Daily News | Wikipedia

උපුටාගනීමකි – අසේල දසනායක (ලක්දිව කතෝලික ඉතිහාසය)

Affiliate Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This blog post may contain other affiliate links as well by which I earn commissions at no extra cost to you. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

SA Graphics Official